Summer is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start preparing your home for the warmer months ahead. As temperatures begin to rise, it’s important to make sure your home is ready to handle the heat and humidity. From checking your air conditioning system to preparing your outdoor living spaces, San Diego Remodeling Services by Better Place Remodeling ensure your home is comfortable and functional throughout the summer season.
Clean and inspect your AC
With summer right around the corner, it’s important to ensure that your home is ready for the heat. One of the most critical steps you can take to prepare your home for summer is to clean and inspect your air conditioning unit. Over time, dirt, dust, and debris can accumulate in the AC unit’s filters and coils, which can reduce its efficiency and even cause it to break down.
- To clean your AC unit, start by turning off the power to the unit using the shut-off switch located near the outdoor unit.
- Then, remove the access panel to the unit and use a soft-bristled brush to gently remove any debris from the coils.
- You can also use a vacuum to remove any loose debris. Next, inspect the coils for any signs of damage or wear and tear.
Check your home’s insulation
Checking your home’s insulation is an important step in preparing for summer. Inadequate insulation can result in a significant amount of heat entering your home, making it difficult to keep your house cool and comfortable during the hot summer months. Start by checking your attic insulation and ensure that your home has the recommended amount for your region.
Prepare your outdoor living space
Preparing your outdoor living space is an essential part of getting your home ready for summer. The warm weather is the perfect opportunity to spend more time outside, and having a comfortable and functional outdoor space can make all the difference. Begin by assessing your current setup and identifying areas that need improvement.
- For example, if you love to entertain, you may want to invest in outdoor seating and a grill.
- If you have children or pets, you may need to create a designated play area.
- Once you have a clear idea of what you want, start cleaning and decluttering the space.
- Remove any debris, dead plants, or unnecessary items. Trim back overgrown bushes and trees, and power wash your deck or patio.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to any outdoor furniture to give it new life.
Check and clean gutters
Checking and cleaning your gutters is an essential step in preparing your home for summer. Clogged gutters can lead to water damage and potential flooding during heavy summer rains. It’s recommended to clean your gutters at least twice a year, and before summer is the perfect time to do it. Start by removing debris such as leaves, twigs, and dirt from your gutters using a trowel or scoop.
Stock up on summer essentials
Summer is a time for enjoying the warm weather and spending time outdoors. To fully enjoy the season, it’s important to stock up on summer essentials.
- First and foremost, make sure you have sunscreen on hand to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- In addition to sunscreen, invest in a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV damage.
- Summer heat can also lead to dehydration, so keep plenty of water on hand. Consider purchasing a reusable water bottle to take with you on the go.
Preparing your home for summer is essential to ensure your comfort and safety during the hotter months. By following these tips, you can be ready for the season with a well-maintained home that is energy-efficient and comfortable. Remember to check your HVAC system, seal up any air leaks, clean your outdoor spaces, and take steps to minimize indoor heat gain.