Who doesn’t love potatoes? Everyone has their own taste of enjoying certain food types. An asian individual would enjoy potato in the curry or with tea while having snacks. Kids would enjoy potato in their junk food like Lays and french fries.
Potatoes are a versatile ingredient. People widely use them in various dishes across the Schengen Area. And while you are on your vacation in Schengen areas, you can try different potato dishes. So, what are you waiting for? Book a flight itinerary for visa, pack your bags and fly to the Schengen countries to enjoy delicious meals.
Let’s See How Schengen Countries Infuse Potato Dishes In Their Meals.
Also, the price range of these potato dishes are affordable. Whether you have them in a restaurant or at a food stall, they are affordable. So, while remaining within your budget you can enjoy different food.
- Germany: Kartoffelsalat (German Potato Salad) is a popular dish. For making it, you will need boil potatoes, vinegar, oil, and seasonings like onions, mustard, and herbs. People prefer serving it warm or at room temperature.
- France: Gratin Dauphinois is a classic French dish consisting of thinly sliced potatoes baked with cream, garlic, and cheese until they form a golden, crusty top. It is creamy, rich, and you can serve it as a side dish.
- Italy: Gnocchi are soft dumplings. They comprise from potatoes, flour, and sometimes eggs. It is upon the person’s wish how he want to serve it. Whether with a variety of sauces, such as tomato sauce, pesto, or creamy cheese sauces. Gnocchi are a popular Italian comfort food.
- Spain: Tortilla Española, also known as Spanish omelette, is a traditional Spanish dish. To make Spanish omlette you will need slice potatoes, eggs, and onions.
- Netherlands: Stamppot is a traditional Dutch dish. To make it you will need mashing potatoes with vegetables like kale, sauerkraut, or carrots. You can serve it with smoked sausage or bacon and is a comforting winter dish.
- Poland: Placki ziemniaczane, or Polish potato pancakes, are made from grated potatoes mixed with flour, eggs, and seasonings. They are fried until crispy and golden. It gives a yummy taste with sour cream or applesauce.
- Sweden: Swedish Raggmunk is a potato pancake dish similar to Polish placki. For making pancakes, you will need grated potatoes. Then mix them with flour, milk, and eggs. They are fried until crispy. Also, taste delicious when you have them with lingonberry jam and bacon.
- Belgium: Belgian Fries, also known as frites, are a beloved street food in Belgium. Mostly, people opt for eating them with various sauces like mayonnaise or ketchup.
The Three Most Famous Potato Dishes That You Will Find Everywhere
While travelling in the Schengen areas, you will find the three common potato dishes everywhere. Whether you stay in the hotel or visit a restaurant. Also, when you search for different hotels for submitting Schengen visa proof of accommodation, you will find these three dishes either in their lunch, supper or breakfast mainly.
The three classic potato dishes that you are likely to find in various forms are:
- French Fries/Pommes Frites: French fries are a staple potato dish that can be found almost everywhere in Europe. You can have them as a side dish or snacks while enjoying tea with your friends and family. Children mostly like having them with sauces like ketchup, mayonnaise, or aioli.
- Mashed Potatoes/Purée de Pommes de Terre: Mashed potatoes are a beloved classic across Europe. To prepare them, one would need the boiling potatoes until tender, then mashing them with butter, milk or cream, and seasonings. Mashed potatoes are a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses and can be found in almost every European cuisine.
- Potato Pancakes/Rösti: Potato pancakes are popular throughout Europe, although they may be known by different names varying on the country. The procedure to make these pancakes is by grating potatoes and mixing them with flour, eggs, and seasonings. They are then pan-fried until golden and crispy. Potato pancakes, you can have them in the breakfast or lunch. You can also take them as a side dish or breakfast item. You can enjoy it with sour cream, applesauce, or other accompaniments.
These three potato dishes have become iconic across the Schengen areas. Also, the Schengen countries recognize and appreciate these delicious recipes for their deliciousness and versatility.
So, if you are planning your summer vacations in the Schengen countries or if you are about to plan a trip, we recommend adding these delicious potato dishes in your to-do-list. And do try them on your visit.
Apart from enjoying the dishes, it is the best way to make your children habitual of eating potatoes in a healthy way, rather than having junk food.